About Me

Recovering from Addiction to Prescription Medications

I never thought of myself as an addict, but I did end up addicted to anti-anxiety medication after developing Generalized Anxiety Disorder. At some point, the medicine stopped being a way to deal with the nervousness and panic attacks, and became something my body craved. I knew that I needed help fast. Fortunately, a local drug rehab program includes support for people like me. They helped me wean off the medication, use methods like massage therapy to help my nerves heal, and even provided ongoing counseling for our family. I don't know how I would have made it without their help. If you suspect that your medication has crossed the line from being helpful to hurtful, take heart. Let me tell you about my journey out of addiction and back to wholeness.

Archive

Latest Posts

Search

Recovering from Addiction to Prescription Medications

Addressing Three Questions About Bee Sting Allergies

by Valerie Stevens

A bee sting can be a very painful injury to suffer, and it is an unfortunate fact that there are some people that may suffer more than just pain from this type of sting. Some individuals may have the misfortune of being allergic to bee stings. If you have recently suffered a reaction following a bee sting, you may benefit from having the following few questions answered.

How Can You Know If You Suffer From Bee Sting Allergies?

For those that suffer from bee sting allergies, it is likely that they will experience a range of symptoms following a sting. These symptoms can be localized or whole-body, and they will include things such as swelling, hives, itching, rashes, difficulty breathing and sweating. Fortunately, you do not have to wait to be stung to confirm whether you suffer from this allergy because it is possible to undergo allergy testing. During these tests, you will be exposed to a small amount of bee venom, and your doctor will monitor your body's reaction to determine if you have an allergy.

Is An Allergic Reaction To A Bee Sting Dangerous?

While bee stings are a harmless nuisance to most people, there are many individuals that may underestimate the dangers of suffering an allergic reaction to this type of sting. It should be noted that these reactions can cause far more than mild irritation. In fact, they can quickly lead potentially life-threatening complications for some patients. For example, individuals with severe bee allergies may experience anaphylactic shock. This can cause the throat swell shut, which can lead to asphyxiation. Due to this risk, it is important for individuals that suspect they may have this allergy to be tested as there are steps that can prevent you from going into anaphylactic shock following a bee sting.

What Treatments Are Available For These Allergic Reactions?

When a person is experiencing an allergic reaction to a bee sting, the appropriate response will depend on the severity of the reaction. For patients that only have minor or mild allergies, it may be possible to alleviate the symptoms of the bee sting by administering an over-the-counter antihistamine. While this solution may make you drowsy, it can be a highly effective way of stopping the allergic reaction from worsening. For patients that experience severe reactions, it may be necessary to have an epinephrine injection administered. These injections contain adrenaline, which will help to neutralize the body's allergic response to the bee sting. Carrying this injection with you may be somewhat inconvenient, but it may prove to be a lifesaving measure for those that are at risk of experiencing this type of reaction.

Contact an allergist, like Oak Brook Allergists, for more help.

Share